Saturday 6 October 2007

Great foodie sites and Peanut OMG Surprise Cookies

Yeah, I know it sounds stupid to post foodie sites when you're trying to lose weight etc, however these are sites that feature some pretty healthy recipes (in amongst the unctious chocolately gooey stuff).

Fresh for Kids is a site produced by the Sydney Fruit and Vegetable Markets. It has some wonderful and nutritious recipes and not just for kids either. I think there are some that sound awesome. I'm going to try the little sweetcorn and bacon frittatas as soon as I unpack my muffin tray!

The Cook and The Chef is my absolute favourite show on TV at the moment. I love Maggie and Simon. They're lovely and their recipes always sound delicious. I've tried two - Simon's mushroom paste and Maggie's Sticky Banana and French Toast. Both were yummmeee. They also do a background story on one of the ingredients they're using. This is often the most interesting part of the show - I always learn something new.

Ready Steady Cook
is one of my favourites. I have a theory: if they can cook five meals in twenty minutes, I can probably cook one. My favourite chefs are Damien Heads, Janelle Bloom and Alastair McLeod. I have taken Janelle's peanut butter cookie recipe and tweaked it sufficiently that it deserves a new name. Here's the recipe:



Peanut OMG Surprise Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup Kraft Peanut Butter (smooth or crunchie but don't get the reduced salt version! Urk!)
1 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon plain flour (give or take according to consistency of dough)
1 Snickers bar

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 160 degrees.

In a bowl mix peanut butter, caster sugar and egg together with a wooden spoon.

Mixture should form a fairly soft cookie dough, if it's too soft (This can happen if you've used a particularly oily brand of peanut butter) add up to a tablespoon of plain flour.

Chop your Snickers bar in half lengthwise down the centre and then in small slices (around half a centimetre thick).

Roll teaspoons of cookie dough between your hands, poke a hole with your thumb (as you would when making a jam drop) and push a piece of Snickers into the centre of the dough. Push the dough over the Snickers and roll back into a ball.

This mix is enough to make 24 decent-sized cookies. Spread them evenly over two greased/lined cookie trays. Bake one tray at a time in the preheated oven for approximately 17 minutes.

Allow cookies to cool on tray for 5 minutes before removing but don't leave them any longer. The heat of the tray continues the cooking process and you'll end up with burnt bottoms. )-:

The Snickers Bar melts inside the cookie to create a delicious sweet caramelly surprise in the centre. The outside looks plain so it takes people by surprise. These are OMG when eaten warm with vanilla ice cream, but they also keep well. For some reason the lack of flour seems to keep them crisp a lot longer than your traditional peanut butter cookie made with flour.

"Yum Tummy" As my gorgeous little Gracey says while patting her cute little belly.

1 comment:

Somehow Sane...xoxo said...

Hi Anna, I used the original recipe after seeing Janelle at the cooking show in Brisbane last year!! Love it, love it. I bought the snickers (from Aldi) two weeks in a row to try your version and by the time I can be bothered the snickers are all gone!!
Will let you know when I've successfully baked and eaten...